Monday, March 10, 2008

The Smell of Purple

I have read the connection between the sense of smell and memory is the strongest of all sensory connections and I believe it! Here is a perfect example - when I was pretty young, I had several Kologne Kiddles that I LOVED, particularly Violet (pictured here). I can clearly remember sitting in the back seat of my Mom's car, entertaining myself by opening the bottles and smelling the little dolls inside. Whenever I think of it I actually feel like I'm there again which isn't very common for me. Somehow in my child's brain, I connected the smell of Violet the Kologne Kiddle with the color purple and 30+ years later, when I think of how purple should smell, this is it.

As an adult, the memory of these early toys has stayed with me and it always seemed like it was an experience from the past that could never be re-captured. However, thanks to the magic of Ebay, I was able to own Violet for a second time. It was unbelievable to open the bottle and experience the "smell of purple" again so many years later. Connecting with your childhood self as an adult can be a very powerful thing.

No comments: